Shaftless unwind on a slitterWhen talking about shaftless roll handing we are usually referring to the unwind/master roll part of a winding machine. When rolls or cores are held in place without shafts the system might be referred to as ‘shaftless’. The parent/master roll will be held in place by two chucks, one each side of the roll, the two chucks are moved into place and handle the roll by motors. Shaftless systems are sometimes used to pick master/parent rolls up from the floor or a pallet.